Cabinet recommended to approve Modbury flood improvement scheme

Modbury flooding

Posted on: 5 July 2017

Devon County Councillors are being asked to approve a £1.1 million flood improvement scheme for Modbury.

A report before the County Council’s Cabinet next week (Wednesday 12 July) is proposing the scheme which involves a number of improvements upstream of the town to reduce run-off and control flows through the built up area of the town.

Modbury has been hit by repeat flooding in recent years, with the worst in July 2012, when around 27 homes, businesses and the local health centre suffered internal flooding and the main A379 through the town became impassable.

There have been a number of smaller flood events in the town since 2012 which have caused repeat flooding to some of the same properties, with one having been flooded on more than 20 separate occasions.

Investigations by Devon County Council have found that more than 80 properties in the town remain at risk of flooding. The improvement scheme has been designed to provide those properties with a minimum standard of protection from a 1 in 75 year flood event and up to the 1 in 100 year scenario for many of the properties.

The scheme, which was given planning permission by the County Council’s Development Management Committee last month, includes the construction of three bunds to store excess water and the excavation of field boundary ditches to redirect and restrict the flow of water into the town. Modifications will also be made to upstream watercourses and gullies, drainage systems will be improved and road surfaces will be re-profiled to direct water away from properties.

Cllr Roger Croad

Councillor Roger Croad, Devon County Council Cabinet Member for Environmental Services, said: “This scheme is vital for Modbury – it is one of the County Council’s highest priorities for flood improvements. A number of detailed investigations have been carried out to develop this scheme in order to protect as many properties as possible.”

Cllr Rufus Gilbert

Cllr Rufus Gilbert

Councillor Rufus Gilbert, Devon County Councillor for Salcombe, said: “The frequent flooding of private properties and businesses is devastating and very disruptive to all those concerned. The delivery of this scheme is therefore welcomed by the residents of Modbury to help reduce the ongoing risk of flooding they currently live with.”

Councillors are also being asked to increase the capital programme to fund the Modbury improvements. If approved by Cabinet, a business case for the scheme will be submitted to the Environment Agency requesting financial support from Defra’s Flood Defence Grant in Aid. In addition to the funding from Devon County Council, contributions have also be secured from South West Water and South Hams District Council.

Be the first to Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

 

Comments are held for moderation. House rules

Posted in: Community | Environment