Cabinet to consider proposals to reinstate the A379 at Slapton
Posted on: 9 May 2018
Proposals to reinstate the A379 at Slapton will go before Devon County Council’s Cabinet for approval next week (Wednesday 16 May) in order to further progress the scheme.
The plans are based on a scheme approved in 2007, although a section of the route has been revised and this modification requires planning permission.
The extent of the damage caused to the A379 by Storm Emma on the 2 March means that the northern realignment, towards Strete Gate, needs to be amended, moving it further north and west.
The southern section of the reinstatement, near the junction to Slapton village, will be implemented based on the existing planning permission.
Most of the road was undermined and washed away during Storm Emma and it has been closed between Slapton and Strete Gate ever since.
The County Council has been provided with £2.5 million of capital funding by the Department for Transport for the reinstatement work.
Councillor Stuart Hughes, Devon County Council Cabinet Member for Highway Management, said: “The alignment which was previously granted planning permission in 2007 could be implemented more quickly, but this route would leave the road vulnerable to further damage in future. In order to provide more resilience we’re looking to adapt the route on part of the reinstatement. We’ve made the commitment to re-open the road, we’ve received swift support from government and we now want to get this scheme underway as soon as we possibly can.”
Councillor Julian Brazil, local County Councillor for Kingsbridge and South Hams District Councillor, said: “The main priority is to get the road reopened as soon as possible. In the meantime, I hope councils and the Valuation Office will give support to local businesses by reducing their rates.”
The proposed realignment has been discussed with stakeholders including the landowner, the Whitley Wildlife Conservation Trust. Its Trustees have agreed to the scheme in principle, and the Slapton Line Partnership has also given its support.
Subject to the progress of the planning application, work is due to start in the Summer and it is hoped it will be completed by late Autumn. The scheme will also involve the removal of debris of the collapsed road.
The proposals will be discussed at Devon County Council’s Cabinet on Wednesday 16 May.
Posted in: Environment