Health and Wellbeing
Christmas travel period 23 to 27 December
Posted on: 9 December 2020
If you’re part of a Christmas bubble this year in order to visit family or friends, you’re probably starting to think about your travel plans.
Between Wednesday 23 and Sunday 27 December, you can travel between different tiers and other nations of the UK if necessary, to meet with your Christmas bubble.
However, you should not travel if you have any coronavirus symptoms or have been told to self-isolate. And if you do have symptoms, please book a test.
The government’s rules say you should not travel to see your bubble before Wednesday 23 December or travel back after Sunday 27 December except in exceptional circumstances (for example, if a member of your Christmas bubble develops coronavirus symptoms and you are required to self-isolate). Anyone travelling to or from Northern Ireland may travel between Tuesday 22 and Monday 28 December.
It’s likely that transport routes will be busier than normal, so please:
- plan ahead, check for disruption before you leave, and avoid the busiest routes, as well as busy times
- avoid making unnecessary stops during your journey
- don’t share a car with people not in your household or Christmas bubble
- where possible, keep your distance from other people when you travel
- wash or sanitise your hands regularly
- wear a face covering on public transport in England unless you’re exempt.