Devon County Council warns drivers to take care as temperatures fall
Posted on: 27 December 2017
Devon County Council is warning of the possibility of icy roads and is urging people to take extra care when travelling.
Please avoid driving through flood water and be aware that ice is expected to form on roads off the salting network. There is also a risk of ice on the salting network due to the amount of rain we have experienced lately.
Due to the recent heavy rainfall, please be aware that some roads remain blocked or passable with care.
The County Council is reminding people of the following advice:
- Avoid overnight travel unless absolutely essential as roads will always be more hazardous at night with less traffic and colder temperatures.
- Never assume a road has been salted – remember that showers or rain will wash salt off roads leaving them prone to ice, and in extreme cold even salting will not stop ice from forming.
- Allow additional time for your journey and reduce your speed.
- Drive with care and according to the conditions.
- Listen to local radio for updates on current weather conditions and follow @DevonAlert on Twitter.