More snow expected this morning (Sunday 18 March)
Posted on: 18 March 2018
Extensive snow has fallen across Devon overnight with more expected later this morning and early afternoon.
5cm more is expected to fall in most places with up to 10-15cm in higher ground.
The gritters and ploughs have been out throughout the night and most major roads and primary routes are currently open and passable with care but some smaller roads remain blocked or dangerous – particularly on Exmoor and parts of Dartmoor.
The priority for the Highways teams today will be to keep the major routes open and as clear as possible.
Drivers are being urged to be mindful of the conditions, to only travel if necessary – particularly up on to the moors – and to drive with care.
General advice is:
• Never assume a road has been salted. Remember that showers or rain will wash salt off roads leaving them prone to ice, and in extreme cold even salting will not stop ice from forming;
• Allow additional time for your journey and reduce your speed;
• Drive with care and according to the conditions;
• If you have vulnerable or elderly neighbours, think about how they could possibly be helped through the cold spell;
• Try to maintain indoor temperatures to at least 18C, particularly if you are not mobile, have long-term illness or are 65 or over. NHS Choices has more information on staying healthy during cold weather;
• Listen to local radio for updates on current weather conditions and ensure you are stocked with food and medications
• Check out any school closures and sign up for alerts for any school by clicking on ‘Alert Me’.