South West Coastpath at Limekilns re-opened following flood damage

South West Coastpath at Limekilns re-opens

Posted on: 30 January 2019

A section of the South West Coast Path along the River Otter near Budleigh Salterton Lime Kilns car park has re-opened this week (Monday 28 January).

It follows extensive repairs to the embankment culvert and outfall by the Environment Agency and its contractor Bridge Civil Engineering.

The path between Budleigh Salterton Lime Kiln car park and White Bridge, on South Farm Road, was originally closed in September after it sustained significant flood damage making it unsafe to use.

The Environment Agency has now restored the footpath, liaising with landowners Clinton Devon Estates and Devon County Council in order to get the route re-opened.

Walkers have been using a temporary alternative route over the past few months and a ribbon cutting ceremony was held earlier this week to mark the re-opening of this popular section of the South West Coast Path.

Bryn Williams, from the Environment Agency, said:

“We are very pleased to announce that the South West footpath is now fully open. This follows significant works to restore the embankment and footpath after its catastrophic failure in September 2018.”

Councillor Roger Croad, Devon County Council Cabinet Member with responsibility for rights of way, said:

“This is a good example of partnership working where everyone has pulled together to ensure this path is restored and opened as quickly as possible for the local community and other path users.”

Councillor Christine Channon, County Councillor for Exmouth and Budleigh Salterton Coastal, said:

“I am so pleased that this Pubic Right of Way has been reopened. It is a very popular footpath, especially with nature lovers who enjoy observing the wildlife on the Lower Otter Estuary. By working as a team the Environment Agency, Clinton Devon Estates, and Devon County Council have managed to carry out major repairs in a short period of time.”

Clare James, Estate Surveyor for Clinton Devon Estates, said:

“The culvert collapse on Friday 14th September escalated very quickly due to the exceptionally high tides and, working alongside the Environment Agency and contractor Chris Drake, we were thankfully able to prevent a full breach of the embankment. It is good to see that the footpath has been fully repaired ahead of schedule and is open, once again, for local people and visitors to enjoy this stunning part of the Devon coastline.”

Be the first to Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

 

Comments are held for moderation. House rules

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Posted in: Community | Environment | Health and Wellbeing