Vulnerable can receive help to save on energy bills

Posted on: 1 October 2018

Vulnerable and fuel poor residents across Devon are being encouraged to apply for expert help to help them keep warm and reduce their energy bills by up to £300 a year.

Cosy Devon and the Local Energy Advice Programme (LEAP) is a free advice service supported by Devon County Council and funded by energy suppliers that helps households with energy saving measures.

Once the application is accepted, one of LEAP’s expert advisors will visit and look at your current heating and warmth levels in your home.

They can install a range of simple measures, provide energy efficiency advice and help look for a better deal on energy bills.

These can include draught-proofing, low energy LED lightbulbs, radiator panels and shower savers. These energy efficiency measures can save the average household around £30 a year on their energy bills.

The advisor will also check if your house has uninsulated cavity walls or an uninsulated loft. If so, it may be possible to arrange for insulation to be installed for free.

If your home has a heating system that’s not working, they may also be able to help you repair or replace it.

The energy advisor will be able to give you free energy efficiency hints and tips and, if you have a heating controller, advice on how to set it to save energy.

Your energy tariff will be checked and, if you are not on the best tariff, the advisor will help you to change to a cheaper one. On average, a household can save £287 a year by switching their heating and electricity supply to the cheapest tariff.

Councillor Roger Croad, Devon County Council’s Cabinet Member for Community, Public Health, Transportation and Environmental Services said;

Cllr Roger Croad

“This scheme helps those who need it the most. By making our homes more energy efficient it has the triple effect of protecting people from the health risks of cold homes, reduces carbon emissions and keeps energy bills down.”

You can apply now, for you or somebody else, on the Cosy Devon website. Alternatively phone 0800 0607567

9 comments on “Vulnerable can receive help to save on energy bills

  1. Natasha Cole says:

    I’ve applied as I meet the eligibility criteria so fingers crossed!

  2. Natasha Hannaford says:

    Please can someone give me the direct phone number and email to apply for this grant as I’m on a key meter etc

  3. John says:

    Look forward to finding out more

  4. celia Lebbon says:

    Hi does this include housing assoaciation as we have trouble feeling warm as the previous tenant wouldn’t have gas heating we have old storage heaters hard to control. thanks Celia Lebbon

    • Hi Celia

      Thanks for taking the time to read the article. If you go to the CosyDevon website it lists the services they can offer. The eligibility requirements of LEAP are designed to target households that either are already in, or are at risk of falling into fuel poverty. It is open to all types of householders in Devon – homeowners, private renters and social housing tenants.
      I suggest that you go through the application process and from there CosyDevon will be able to determine if you are eligible. You can apply now, for you or somebody else, at or by phoning 0800 060 7567.

  5. Richard Martin says:

    Why not make it immediately clear who can benefit/is entitled to apply?

Posted in: Community | Environment