Work progressing well on A377 stabilisation scheme
Posted on: 31 January 2018
Work is progressing well on a major stabilisation scheme on the A377 at Chapel Downs in Crediton.
Essential repairs and reconstruction work started earlier this month on a 30 metre stretch, between Queen Elizabeth Drive and Higher Road, where the edge of the road is cracking due to an unstable embankment. The scheme is on schedule to be completed by Monday 12 February.
Highway drainage is being replaced and a retaining wall is being constructed. The road will also be resurfaced.
Councillor Stuart Hughes, Devon County Council Cabinet Member for Highway Management, said: “The work is progressing as planned and every effort is being made to re-open the road as soon as possible, hopefully ahead of schedule.”
Councillor Nick Way, County Councillor for Crediton, said: “Although this is very necessary work that has to be done, any closure of this length causes great disruption and inconvenience for those who use this important road and for all those affected by the diverted traffic on surrounding local roads. The sooner it can be reopened the better and it is good news the work is progressing well.”
A diversion is being signed via Copplestone, Whiddon Down, A30 to Exeter, Cowley Bridge to Crediton. However, the County Council expected some increase in traffic on local roads and to ease traffic flow in and around Crediton a temporary 30mph is in place on Higher Road and lanes to the south of the closure, along with a temporary one-way system on between Quarry Foot Cross and Raddon Down Cross, near Knowle.
Macplant Construction is carrying out the work.Posted in: Environment